Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Return of the G

First and foremost, let me point you to the return of the one and only Alan David Doane. Nice to see a review from the boss, it's definitely been too long!

I recently bought the first Titus DVD set, and man do I miss this show, it's right up there with the greats even if it only lasted two and a half seasons. Any of you on the fence about this, buy it, now.

On a more personal not, I'M GETTING A NEW CAR!!!!!! Woooooooooohooooooooooo! A 2003 Dodge Neon, not the best of cars, but for $1500 with only 40,000 miles on it, well, I could hardly pass it up. My car's been on the becline for awhile, and it will be nice to have another vehicle to drive. It'll be costly keeping up with two cars, but really I can't see myself getting rid of a working vehicle because you never know, you know.

Watched a few movies recently, let's start with tonight:

The Upside of Anger

Costner and Allen give excellent performances but the plot of the movie seemed a little all over the place. I mostly enjoyed it but it drug in a few places. It tries to say alot but ultimately leaves more questions than real answers, the plot twist is unexpected and adds so much depth to a film that otherwise ends up being rather shallow. The humour is there but there's long pauses between the laughs and not all of them are filled with drama, sometimes it's just dull lengths of nothingness. Decent rental material, I don't think I'd recommend buying it though. B-

Finder's Fee

Who'da though Jeff Probst (yeah the guy from Survivor) could write and direct? It's not an excellent movie, but it's definitely good. The plot involves a stolen wallet, a winning lottery ticket, a poker game, a few friends and a stranger. Excellent casting (Ryan Reynolds, Matthew Lillard, and James Earl Jones) and a pretty decent script make this an excellent character piece, unfortunately there's a last minute, incomprehensible plot twiist almost ruins the whole thing. Almost. If you see this on the rental shelves give it a go for sure. B+

The Lady Eve-The Criterion Collection

A very, very good romantic comedy (more accurately a "screwball" romantic comedy) which finds a card hustler and her father taking on the rich son of an ale manufacturer, only the hustler and her mark fall madly in love. Directed by Preston Sturgess, it's definitely one of the best films within this little sub-genre (one I usually loathe no less) I've ever seen. It holds up alarmingly well and address a lot of themes you didn't normally see in films from the 40s, and the sexuality is astounding. If you're like me and you just can't get behind romance movies, look this one up it's well worth your time and it's funny as hell ta boot. A

-L

No comments: