Thursday, April 22, 2004

A promise kept

See, sometimes I do exactly what I say I will...

New Mutants (Vol. 2) #11-12 $2.99 (each)

The series ends with a big bust, as nothing that has happened over the last few issues has any lasting effect on the chracters. I really liked the book when it started, but the last four or five issues have brought almost nothing to the table. I wish the creators luck with the relaunch, and hope that readers get something better than this.

X-Men Unlimited #41 $2.99

Another issue of the former anthology (now apparently relaunched) I picked up for a pair of quarters. This time it was in fact for the Chuck Austen story. I've heard good things about his Exiles, but if this is any example, I won't be picking it up. It's not bad necessarily, more pointless than anything else. His Wolverine seems pretty good, but it is a Wolvie from an alternate dimension, so it's not really an issue. The only Exiles that show up are Blink and Nocturne, and the story is sometimes hard to follow. It feels like the middle of a bigger story and you're just left guessing at what happened before and after. Sometimes that's a good thing, but not here. However, Skottie Young provides the art, which I loved, I'll definitely have to look into more by him.

The second story in the book is a X-Statix tale by Nick Derrington (another name that doesn't ring a bell ) and Mike Allred. Now, I haven't read that book in sometime, but the portrayal of the characters in this story seem way off. They seem almsot too laid back, as if they're on some sort of drug that just magically made them get along. Maybe it's just me, but it was disappointing.

The last story is one about a mutant who can make people feel the same way he does and uses the power to give himself a little fame and fortune. It also deal with what happens when you reach exceeds your grasp. A good moral in the story, but it's overshadowed by bad writing and serviceable art.

This was a waste of fifty cents, and that's just sad.

-L

No comments: