Tuesday, March 28, 2006

More Reviews Than You Can Shake a Stick At

Comics, Movies, TV, you name it it probably entertained me.

All in the Family Season Three

I got this and Season 4 recently and just finished this one up. Always funny and pretty surprising how relevant some of the stuff is today. Lots of good episodes on this set too, including Edith Flips Her Wig (she "steals" a wig and gets arrested), The Locket (Her locket gets stolen, Archie tries to file an insurance claim), Edith's Winning Ticket (She has the Jefferson's winning lottery ticket), Archie and the Bowling Team and the Battle of the Month. The only episode I didn't really love though was Gloria the Victim. Not because of the extreme subject matter but because I just was never a fan of hers, and that closeup on her at the end makes me want to laugh, it just doesn't work for me.

Aeon Flux: The Complete Series

Man what a bizarre show this was. Great, but weird. Interesting commentaries, they shed some light on some otherwise oblivious aspects of the show. I wish Chung's other show (as a designer, not a creator) Reign the Conqueror was readily available on DVD, but oh well. This was a really great set, tons of extras and they even added some animation back into the episodes. It includes all the shorts (I don't think they ever got better than the first, but they're all good) and some featurettes, plus the commentaries. The movie looked like crapola but watching this makes me want to check it out.

Starship Troopers 2

A LOT of people write the first one off as the worst movie ever made. Well if that was the worst then this is so far beyond that it comes back around to being good. It's complete and utter crap, but unlike most crap films it seems to know it's crap which is a bit of consolation. That and I paid like $2 for it. Avoid it all costs.

Walk the Line

Well it seems you either like this movie or you don't, I'm on the "like" side for sure. I think Phoenix's performance is great but that it's Witherspoon that steal the movie. Good, solid biopic, swell acting and great music, haven't checked out the rest of the set (I got the extended version), but it looks like it's got some great stuff on it. I definitely had an itch for some Cash tunes after watching it.

Criminal

John C Reilly and Maggie Gyllenhal hardly pass for brother and sister but this is still a good flik. It's a little obvious at times and the end is broadcast a bit too early, but it's still fun, entertaining and mostly keeps you second guessing yourself. Had no idea who Diego Luna is but after seeing his performance here I'm definitely hooked on the guy, hopefully he'll get some bigger roles.

Eh, I'll do the comics later. I've been pretty sick for the last few days, trying to sleep it off, I'll get the list tomorrow and maybe the comics on Wednesday.

-L

No comments: