Friday, July 08, 2005

Quickies-07/08/05

Just got back from an afternoon movie and spending spree...kind of.

War of the Worlds

It's not as bad as I expected, but that doesn't make it a good movie.It's weird how the movie is set in this post-9/11 world and the way people react to what's going on. It's also weird how well it works as a commentary on today's society, but by no means does any of that take percedence over it's popcorn-munching status as a summer film. I can still say I've never seen a bad Spielberg film, but I've also never seen A.I. Worth and afternoon view, and infinitely more fun if you have a few friends to go with, and even better if no one else is in the theatre so you can comment on how plausible (or not) the situations are.

After that I went by the local EB Games and picked up the following for less than sixty bucks:

A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Burgman: Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence and Ingmar Makes a Movie-The Criterion Collection

John Cassavetes- Five Films" Shadows, Faces, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Opening Night, A Constant Forge- The Criterion Collection

Nip/Tuck: The Complete First Season

Not bad, eh? I didn't really have the sixty, but how the hell can you pass up a deal like that?

Last night I watched a movie that had possibly the greatest opening credits (or at least the most inventive) ever, unfortunately the film pretty much blew-

American Crime

It's a film that wants to be a reality TV show, and it succeeds, only it's the worst reality show I've ever seen. The cast (especially Cary Elwes and Rachel Leigh Cook) are wasted in a pointless story full of plot twists that have more holes than, wel, something that's full of holes. It's ridiculous and I hate that I wasted my money. But I do so love Rachel Leigh Cook.

Also, yesterday I bought an iPod mini off a co-worker ($100, again, didn't have it, but it seemed to good to pass up). She doesn't have the USB cable to connect it to my comp (which made me suspicious, but she assured me it was legit) so I have to track one down. Hopefull Best Buy will have one. Anyone know if I can register this thing with Apple since I bought it used off of someone? Or if I can even sign up for iTunes and stuff like that? I haven't investigated it yet, maybe this weekend.

As for comics, well, I'm now broke, but fortunately pretty much everyday is payday for me! Hopefully I'll make some dough tonight and get to the LCS tomorrow.

I did read one comic though-

Batman: Legends of the Dark KJnight #181

Which sees Barb Gordong become Batgirl once gain, only this time in a digital world. Think City of Heroes. Not bad, but not great either. It's nice to see someone drawing a traditional Batgirl as opposed to the S&M version we have now, but the story seemed a bit dumb, and kind of a rip off of Who Killed Retro Girl? fron Bendi's Powers book.

So, yeah, off to work for me! Have a great weekend, I'll be back Saturday with some links, in the meantime, hit the sidebar and go cruisin!

-L

No comments: