Sunday, February 12, 2006

Those Pesky DVDs

So, I mentioned something about watching something. Actually, lotsa stuff. So, here we go:

Garfield & Friends Vol. 4

Got this cheap, like $10, and I remember loving it as a kid. I still enjoyed it, just not as much as I used to. I'm hanging on to it though, the baby bro might enjoy it one day. And I don't remember USAcres being Orson's Farm, anyone know why that got changed? Was it for the DVD or did that actually happen in the show?

The Quest for Camelot

Another animated DVD. Hard to believe this was Warner's first animated feature film. It's not bad really, the songs are certainly terrible, but the animation is pretty good and even utilizes some early CGI stuff. Great voice cast, even for the small parts. I was disappointed that Merlin didn't play a bigger role. Actually, Camelot doesn't play that big of a role, it's mostly about trying to get to Camelot. Another one I'll keep around for the kid bro.

Wedding Crashers

Not nearly as funny as everyone says it is, but still a good movie. Probably a good date movie, got something for the guys and gals and enough funny to keep you interested. But, I found the next flik to be far more enjoyable...

The 40-Year-Old Virgin

I think this might be the funniest movie I've seen since Tommy Boy. I didn't get what all the hubbub was about in the geek world, I didn't think the movie showed him in any bad light BECAUSE of his collection of toys, rather his hobbies seemed to be an offshoot of not really clicking with the ladies (or of just being bored, which is why most hobbies come about). Something to occupy his mind. He didn't just collect toys, he seemed to be into almost any hobby he could find. So, I couldn't see it as any sort of attack, just the truth of the situation. Still, very well written, brilliantly acted, flat out hilarious, I loved it.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Man, the action in this movie is probably some of the best put to film since Bad Boys. Yes, I like Bad Boys. But, unlike that flik the plot here tries to be something elaborate. Thinking about it longer than five minutes gives me a headache. It just doesn't hold together at all. The dialogue is good in a few places, mostly snappy which can get to be overkill. But thankfully when there is some great action going down the actors know what to do and they shut the hell up. I liked Pitt for the most part, and Angelina is sexy as hell, but ultimately they don't work well together. Enjoyable, but forgettable. Probably woulda been good to see in a theatre.

Stealth

Now this is a movie that never takes itself seriously, which made it entirely enjoyable. The Top Gun meets Short Circuit plot is insane enough to keep you interested and then as things go from worse to completely screwed you have to keep watching to see how absurd it can really get. All the while the actors seem to be playing along, smiling slyly. Spoiler alert here: When Jamie Foxx bites it I so desperately wanted to hear him say "I'm off to go film Ray, I'll see you honkies at the Oscars."

V

My brother picked this up, the whole series in fact, pretty cheap, then insisted I watch it. Pretty good considering when it was made. The FX crew did a good job with what they had and the acting is decent, a bit over the top at times. It's funny to see how many movies since have stolen from it, specifically Independance Day. I've got the second miniseries laying on my shelf ready to be watched and hopefully I'll get to it this week.

Sky High

The plot will be familiar to anyone who's read a superhero comic in the last five year. Equal parts Invincible and X-Men, with a bit of Fantastic Four thrown in for good measure. Speaking of it was was far more enjoyable than the FF movie, except for the Torch/Thing scenes. They could have used a bigger FX budget, but outside of of that I really enjoyed it.

Assault on Precnct 13

I usually try to avoid remakes, specifically if I've never seen the original, but I'd heard so much great stuff about this I had to pick it up. It didn't disappoint. The plot ends up being a bit of a let down and the end tries to be a bit of a pick me up, but I chalk that up to American audience expectations. From beginning to end it's very edge of your seat, and when the characters start dying you can clearly throw most of your expectations out the window. Solid performances all around, and brilliant directing. The IMDB page says this and the original are "remakes" of Rio Bravo, one of my favorite films EVER, but I really didn't see it. They share the same claustrophobic atmosphere, but outside of that the similarities are pretty small. I can't imagine the original being any better, but I do intend to check it out eventually.

Titus Season 3

Man, has there ever been a show that was so funny yet so emotionally draining? Especially this season, as things start to wind down, seeing the breakdowns of the characters, especially Titus. Easily one of the best shows ever on television. Can't say it any better than that.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol. 4

Finally finished watching it. Hilarious as always. Long live the Mooninites!

The Legend of Zelda

Shout Factory has become one of the go-to companies for cult shows hasn't it? I could've done without the Mario Bros. stuff they put on there, even if it was part of the original show, it was all just too goofy. I enjoyed the episodes, and love seeing game elements incorporated into it, especially the sounds, but Link could be a bit bratty and trying at times. Still, I liked it.

Kicking & Screaming

I just didn't think it was that funny. The kids were pretty annoying and Will Ferrell was pushing it a bit. Mike Ditka was good though.

Bad News Bears

This though, was pretty funny. Billy Bod does a decent job of imitating Mathau, and the kids were great. Not the original, but better than any of the sequels. Definitely worth a rent.

Man, this list goes on forever...I'll make the rest real short.

Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch

Stitch is the greatest character the House of Mouse has ever spawned. Good flik, can't wait for the next one.

Orgazmo

Funny, but nowhere near their South Park stuff, or Baseketball. The commentrak is interesting, with appearences by Dave Foley, Kevin Smith and a few other surprising guests.

Scooby-Doo in Where's My Mummy?

I've enjoyed every DTV Scooby flik, and this one is no exception. Nice to see cartoon Velma get some character for once and have the rest of the gang see how hard it is to get along without her. Good Sccoby/Shaggy stuff, and a few laugh out loud moments, lackluster extras though, and wasn't nearly as creepy as the Loch Ness movie.

Red Vs. Blue Season 1

Damn, that's funny. If you don't know Halo it's probably wasted on you, but if you play the game you'll laugh your ass off. Hats off to the guys that did this, for nothing, using a few X-Boxes. I wouldn't mind seeing this show on Adult Swim to get an even bigger audience, but that's probably impossible.

Okay, that's probably not everything, but that's all I can remember right now.

A quick shout out to my man Dick Cheyney, way to shoot some one there Dick. Apparently he's the dumb one of the pair after all. Or maybe not, maybe that guy deserved it. Still, couldn't they have covered it up? No one knows who killed Kennedy, we faked a moon landing and God knows what else, but we can't cover up oral sex or accidental shootings? What the fuck is wrong with this country?

Oh, and a big Fuck You to Fox for airing the last four Arrested episodes on a fucking Frioday without promoting it. A fitting, funny end though, to one of the best TV shows EVER.

Peace.

-L

No comments: