Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Finally!!!

A chance to post some thoughts on my recent viewings!!

All the Queen's Men

Never heard of it have you? Well, it's a dramedy starring Matt LeBlanc (from Friends) and Eddie Izzard (the brilliantly funny British comedian) about some men sent behind enemy lines in WWII to capture an enigma machine. The only thing is, they have to dress like women as all the men have been drafted. Okay, it's not a bad movie, just not a very good one. There are moments where you can tell the actors just wanted off the set because the script was going nowhere, and there are moments where they seem to be enjoying themselves. It's a bit like the older war movies that tried to be funny, and just came out hokey instead. Maybe worth the rental price, depending on how you feel about the concept and the actors.

The Italian Job (2003)

I'm not sure if the original's any better, but I'd recommend renting this before buying it, as it's not very original. There are some funny moments and a few solid scenes, but most of the movie is just cliche after cliche. If you've seen the previews, there's really nothing more to the film.

Solaris

This one I'm going to have to watch again. I'll admit to being somewhat tired and distracted while I watched it, so most of it went right over my head. I like what I saw, and think Clooney turned in a brilliant performance. Ifyou liked 2001: A Sapce Odyssey (I didn't) then you're sure to enjoy this film. Maybe I can watch it again soon and give some more depth to my review, but until then, I'll say it was strangely enjoyable for the most part.

South Park Season 3

If you're looking for funny, buy this DVD. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are two of the funniest writer on the planet, and this is some of their best work. Every episode is great, and their own version of commentary complements the work nicely. Not many extras, but considering it's priced at about $30 in most places, it's a steal.

The Ben Stiller Show

Where South Park tends to be crudely funny, this show more often than not goes for the "smart" funny. What I said above goes double for this set. Commentary by the cast and crew, deleted shorts and and a few other extras make this a bargain at around $25.

I'll be back later with some thoughts on a few comic books!

No comments: