Thursday, July 08, 2004

Quick Hits

Capes #1 $3.50

Robert Kirkman is quite the heralded writer lately, and the praise is well deserved. This book was good, well written, good dialogue, the charcters were distinct in personality. It's got all the makings of a great "capes" book. But, here's the problem...It's been done. In fact, at this point I'd say it's been done to death. The "realistic" approach to superheroics in it's many forms is becoming almost as bad as the pointless books that have inspired them. Still, like I said, it's a great read, and if nothing else it's damn pretty to look at. Mark Englert invokes thoughts of Erik Larsen with his pencils, who in turn has an almost Kirby-esque approach to his art. So, the book does have alot going for it, it just seems the idea is becoming stale. At least to me, if it's not for you, then by all means buy this damn book.

Fantastic Four #515 $2.25

I was loving Waid on this book, but this storyline is doing almost nothing for me. His Ben Grimm is still the best I've ever seen. Just think if I'd said Thing instead of Ben Grimm there. That's funnier than anything in this book.

Starjammers #1 $2.99

Kevin Anderson and Ale Garza attempt to tackle Marvel's space pirates, and fail...in a sense. The book is good, really, not great, but not everything can be great. The problem is that, like everything lately, it's a prologue for the second issue. The pirates don't even show up until the last quarter of the book. Just like "realistic approaches", this is another approach that is getting old fast. Garza's art is serviceable, and Anderson's script does a good job of making you feel for the people being hijacked, but it was disappointing that we didn't really see the Starjammers as characters, just as plot points. I'm gonna give this another issue and see if it picks up, one can only hope.

Supreme Power #11 $2.99

JMS seems determined to make this the slowest moving book in the history of comics. Every issue seems like a prologue for the next one, not to mention he's taking that "realistic" approach I've been bitching about. Still, it's damn well written, and Gary Frank draws like nobody's business. In fact, it's probably his pencils mare than JMS's writing that keeps bringing me back. If you are going to read this book, may I suggest it in TPB form, as I'm sure it's far better that way.

Star Wars Tales #20 $5.99

I had hoped to do an in-depth review of this, bit I'm afraid I don't have the time. So, here goes...It's wonderful. It's brilliant. It's hilarious. It's quirky. It's bizarre. Pick an adjective, or at least a positive one. This book is one of the best reads of the year. Buy the damn thing. For more, see postmodernbarney, to the right, Dorian agrees, as does Mike over at Progressive Ruin. BUY IT!

-L

No comments: