Thursday, July 29, 2004

Yay!

Okay, so it seems back to normal for now, and it gives me the the chance to post about a few movies I've recently watched:

The Graduate

Yes, this would be the first time I've seen it, sue me. Dustin Hoffman is brilliant in this movie, playing Ben Braddock. He's shy, nervous, and scared to death about his future. It's a movie that really captures that point in everyone's life where they don't know what to do, where everything seems pointless. Of course most of us didn't have affairs with older women, but I bet you we'd have done so given the chance. A great flik, that I can only imagine being pretty taboo for its time.

Hellboy

Bought the DVD, and got a chance to watch one of the commentrak's, the one with the cast. I will say this movie looks beautiful on DVD, and honestly plays alot better the second time. I won't bore you with another review of it, but I will say the cast commentary is excellent. I had no idea Ron Perlman was so well informed. He knows the comic book backwards and forwards, as well as Del Toro's work. Selma Blair is every bit the two year old I imagine her to be, and at times is quite annoying, though everyone else seems to just roll with it. Jeffrey Tambor is as funny as you'd think, but his and Perlman's voices are so similar you can never be sure who's talking. As for Rupert Evans also joins them, and he's got nothing but praise for the film as well. The group feels very much like a family, which says alot, and they obviously love Del Toro, and this film.

Play It Again, Sam

An old Woody Allen film (his first with oft-times collaborator Diane Keaton) based on his play, and oddly enough, not Directed by him. Woody plays Alan, a nervous, twitchy wreck of a man (he found his niche early on obviously) who's distraught by his recent divorce. He's a huge movie buff, Casablanca being his favorite, and Bogart being his idol, so throughout the film he's constantly talking to Bogey, getting pointers and such. Honestly it's this bit of fantasy that saved the film for me, as Allen's reactions and imitations of Bogart's moves are hilarious. With the help of married friends Dick and Linda (Keaton) Alan tries to get back out in the datin pool, and fail miserably every time. Eventually he realizes he's fallen for Linda and the movie goes on to spoof Casablancas final seen, right down to the fog at the airport. Good, funny film if you can manage to track it down. Despite my dislike of Keaton, she's lovely here, and beautiful as well.

Miracle

Finally, I got to see it, and yes I was moved. I have a huge soft spot for sports films, I have no idea why. It's a great film, but I'd imagine it doesn't capture the excitiement of what it was really like. I wish I could have been there.

I'll be back later with a few reviews of the week's comics.

-L

No comments: