Friday, July 16, 2004

Quick Hits

Guardians #1 $2.99

Marvels new offering of kids who are visited at a young age by an alien, only to grow up wondering if it really happened. The art is is "manga-ish" which means that Marvel is hoping to attract that crowd with it, and yet the entire issue is set up for the next, more like prologue than story (a fact that Dorian, who's blog is to the right, is loathing more and more, as am I) which means that anykid who does pick it up will likely feel he's wasted his three bucks. Which is a shame, because it's actually not that bad. You can connect with these characters, you actually want to read more about them, but it's likely that most kids can't afford it. Really, Marvel, this would have made a great "all-ages" type of promotion, maybe throwing the first issue out at even a .99 cent privce tag would've helped bring in some readers. Bottom line, it'll end up too expensive for kids, and most older readers won't buy it because it lacks that connection to the rest of the MU. Look for a cancellation inside of a year...hopefully I'll be wrong.

Freaks of the Heartland #3 $2.99

Niles and Ruth continue the story of a boy and his "freakish" brother as the run away from home. Fortunately this issue has an interesting twist that makes me want to read more, unfortunately there isn't more, at least until next month. This is proving to be quite a slow book, and although it's beautiful, that doesn't warrant the three bucks month after month. I trust Niles though, and assume he knows where he's going,. and I'll be along for the ride.

The Punisher #9 $2.99

Ah, as much as I love Ennis, this story has gotten out of hand, and hopefully it'll be over soon. Very soon.

Identity Disc #2 $2.99

This is where I recognized Rodi from, and I have to say, as much as I liked his Loki, I didn't care for the first issue of this series. This one isn't much better, worth it though for his Deadpool/Bullseye interaction, to me at least, unless you're a DP fan or completist, it's best avoided.

The Butterfly Effect

Yeah, I know, but I didn't feel like making another post. I'm lazy. However, this movie is damned good, but only in the Director's Cut version. After watching the original theatrical cut I see why it failed, it just doesn't work. If you saw it in theatres, it's worth another look for the new cut, and if you didn't, rent/but it and just watch the new version. It's a great movie, well cast, written, and directed. The plot is a bit obvious at times, but nothing's perfect.

Side note, Blogger no longer has a "bold" button for the posts (on my blog at least), and I know jack about HTML, so if anyone can help me figure out how to get it back, it'd be much appreciated.

-L

2 comments:

Tom the Dog said...

I can't use that new Rich Text Editor thing on Blogger's post entry forms at all, because it keeps crashing on me. I just go straight to HTML editor, where you put these tags -- <b> and </b> -- around the text you want bolded, like so: BOLD.

And I've said the same thing about the current Punisher storyline twice at my new blog (plug). After the last storyline, with its unbelievably shocking end to Micro, this is a muddled let-down.

LGP said...

Heh, thanks for the hint, I'll try to remember that. Yeah, thisPunisher has become a real let down, and is it me, or does the artwork seem off? I reread the issue, and it just seemed weird. I trust Ennis tho, so I'm sticking around for at least one more arc.