Wednesday, December 22, 2004

The list, and other stuff

The 4400: The Complete First Season

Retail on this is a verylowe $26.99, which means you can likely find in for around $20. I hate that I missed it when it aired, and I might pick it up soon, it looked pretty interesting.

Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid

This, on the other hand, I'm staying the hell away from. You couldn't pay me to rent it.

De-Lovely

Cole Porter is a favorite of mine, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this bio-pic, hopefully during Christmas weekend.

King Arthur

Available in two versions, I'll be renting the unrated, intended version. Studios screwing with a director's vision is nothing new, thankfully we have DVD's now so we can enjoy the movie the way it was intended...or at least see it the way it was intended.

The Manchurian Candidate

This remake can't be nearly as intelligent as the original...mainly because it's a remake. I plan on seeing it, mostly because of Washington, but I recommend everyone see the Sinatra version first, if you haven't already.

Napoleon Dynamite

Can this be as good as everyone seems to think it is? I plan on finding out, and I plan on being disappointed, movies like this never live up to their hype for me.

Shaun of the Dead

And movies like this tend to far exceed their hype. Looks brilliant.

The Simpsons: The Complete Fifth Season

Do you need anymore info?

Star Trek Voyager: Season Seven

Also available, the entire series as a set. How can Trek fans afford this stuff?

Surviving Christmas

Well, that was fast...

Thunderbirds

Looked far too juvenile for me to pay good money for, but I may rent it.

Two Brothers

If this had played near me for longer than a week I'd have gone to see it. I don't normally go in for movies solely about animals, but this one looks too good to pass up.

I finished Chappelle's Show Season 1 today. It's a great set, with an uber-cheap asking price ($20 most places, sometimes less) and probvably the best sketch comedy show since the early years of SNL. It's equal parts brilliant satire and sophmoric fart jokes. It does something very few shows have been able to, address racial issues without seeming preachy or one-sided, and makes you laugh at the same time. It'snot for the kiddies, but it's got a little bit of everything for all you adults out there. Go, buy it, rent it, watch it, support it.

I downloaded the Sin City trailer a few hours ago as well, and I'm officially excited about it. It looks stylish, and like most Rodriguez films will likely be misunderstood by most of the movie going public (ormaybe that's just here in the South?). It looks like it's going to be the most faithful comic-to-film adaption ever, and the casting is nothing short of brilliant. Cinescape has a link to it if you wanna gander at it.

NBC is airing off it's final episodes of Father of the Pride while most other shows take a holiday break. It was a doomed-from-the-start concept that can't get past it's own intent. Without a broad appeal it never had a chance on network TV, and couldn't be the "adult" show it strived for without being on cable. It seems like everything John Goodman has touched since Roseanne has turned to crap, no fault of his own, but still rather dismaying.

I got a copy of America: The Book as an early Christmas present this week. It's freaking brilliant. I can't remember the last time I sat and read a book, and the fact that it's made up like a school textbook makes it even funnier!

Comic book stuff tomorrow...I swear!

-L

No comments: