Thursday, December 23, 2004

Not what I had in mind...

But, since I didn't make it over to the comic shop, here's a look at Comicscape's readers Best of 2004:

10. DAREDEVIL

I quit reading this book awhile back. I've been meaning to keep up with it via trades, but found that it was more or less "out of sight, out of mind." Good for you who are enjoying it though.

9. AVENGERS

Whatever. There's no way this was in the years Top 10. Of course, I could be wrong, I didn't read it, so maybe I shouldn't judge it. But, like another book that pops up down the list, this just reeked of publicity stunt, and I was having no part of it.

8. FLASH

Don't read it. Johns keeps getting notoriety for his DC work, maybe it's deserved, but i know at least one person who would disagree.

7. FANTASTIC FOUR

Finally, something I can agree with. waid and 'Ringo did more for the Fab 4 than probably anyone ever has, outside of Lee & Kirby that is. The Hereafter arc alone ranks among my all time favorite superhero stories.

6. AVENGERS/JLA

Huh, some people are gluttons for punishment it seems. This book was a complete mess to me. Another publicity stunt that didn't appeal to anyone outside of the two groups of established readers. I'm pretty familiar with Marvel continuity, and I found it hard to follow. It looked good though.

5. WE3

This list just took a turn for the better! Despite some of the readers apparent lack of taste, I'd like to think this book is one that everyone is enjoying. This is one of those people will be talking about a decade from now.

4. DC: THE NEW FRONTIER

Ditto. This is a fantastic piece, and if you missed the issues, Vol. 1of the collection is out as of today, go buy it. Yeah, it pisses me off that it'll be in two seperate volumes, but I'll deal.

3. EX MACHINA

After disliking the other Vaughan books I'd tried to get into, I passed on this one. It keeps getting praise, and i'll probably check out the trade.

2. ASTONISHING X-MEN

I dropped this after the first issue. Everyone seems to be loving it, but I'm just not biting on any more monthly x-books. There's too much to keep up with.

1. IDENTITY CRISIS

I guess there are a lot of DC readers at Comicscape, and i assume this was before they read the ending. As someone who's never followed the DCU closely, I'd have had no friggin clue about who did it, nor would I have gave a damn. Glad I passed it up, and I hate to think this was the years best.

There were some honorable mentions:

1602; HUMAN TARGET; SECRET IDENTITY; BULLSEYE: GREATEST HITS; FABLES; MADROX; OPTIC NERVE; GUARDIANS; RUNAWAYS; FALLEN ANGEL; Y: THE LAST MAN; THE WALKING DEAD; CATWOMAN: WHEN IN ROME; SUPREME POWER; MAN-THING; EVERYMAN: BE THE PEOPLE ("published by FWD Books in September...it's tightly written with outstanding but accessible art," Tony Shenton tells us); NYX; BIRDS OF PREY; ROSE AND THORN; WONDER WOMAN; JSA; and LUCIFER.

Of those I like 1602, Bullseye, Fables, Guardians, Y, Madrox, and Supreme Power. It was nice to see Optic Nerve in there, but sadly I'm not a regular reader. Yeah, yeah, I plan on fixing that.

Again, this wasn't mypics, I'll probably have those later this week.

Elsewhere on the web,

ADD takes a look at what's coming in 2005.

Mike has a contest to win, for free, the latest Swamp Thing Trade. Go check it out, nothing beats free swag.

So...more tomorrow? Why not?!

-L

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All pizza places of USA http://pizza-us.com/california/Orange/What%20Alot%20A%20Pizza/92865/

Find your best pizza.