Saturday, November 13, 2004

Blah Blah Blah

Nope, I'm not dead. I didn't expect to be as absent as I have been, but the break from my blogging has made my heart grow fonder. I can't count the number of times this past week I've thought "I gotta write something about that..." then got home and played massive amounts of Halo 2 and forgot all about it.

So, in short, lots to talk about.

There should be another review going up on CBG shortly, this time of Marvel's Runaways Vol. 1.

Speaking of comics, I bought one floppy this week, Bullseye, it rocked. I also picked up Vol. 2 of the Daredevil HC collections, and will get Vol. 3 next week hopefully. Meant to get She-Hulk, and forgot. Got Ennis' Judge Dredd TPB as well. It'll be nice to read some good Ennis stuff.

In comics related news, Marvel is suing the creators of the MMORPG, City of Heroes. Like Dorian (see sidebar, make with the clicky) I think's it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The House of Ideas must be broke.

Halo 2 is awesome, by the way, but it's disappointing as well. Considering how massive and unique the first one was, you'd think the second would just improve on that by leaps and bounds. Instead what we get is like a shinier version, with a few new tricks. They seem to have went with a "if it ain't broke" policy, but when you think about the wait for the game it becomes even more disappointing. What the hell took so long guys? Next time take a lesson form the folks developing GTA, "if it ain't broke, make it bigger and better."

Watched Walking Tall this week. It's a shame The Rock didn't have a better script and/or director. The guy is charismatic as hell, and unlike the action stars of yesteryear he's got this relatable quality to him. He proved himself in The Rundown, but this film was mediocre at best. It is based on a true story, and it's a problem that's very real, but the approach was off. Instead of a dramatic action film we get an action film with some drama thrown in. Every aspiring acting director/writer should have to watch Man on Fire. That's how it's supposed to be done people.

Smallville was awful this week. It was very cool that they decided to bring in yet another element from the books (and under my nose too, didn't hit me until the very end of the episode), but making the three girls into witches just seemed dumb. Why does everything that ever happens have to involve someone from Smallville? Couldn't it have just been someone else, did it have to be Lana? It's such an obvious plot device that it seems more like some sort of fanfiction (I've used that phrase twice this week...weird). Note to the writers: there is a bigger universe out there, explore it. Hell, it would have made more sense to have some random goth girl be the witch. Still lovin' Lex though, at least they always get him right.

That brings me to anoth TV show, this one in my DVD player, Roswell. I'm halfway through the first season, and I'm hooked. Sure the plots are about as standard teen-angst as you can get, but the X-Files-ish premise makes for some interesting twists. This and Angel have now become my new "must haves" on DVD.

I do want to say "shame!" to the Smallville crew for blatantly ripping off Roswell plot devices (the caves, the cryptic writing, plus tons of other stuff) but Roswell also borrows heavily from a few Superman elements as well, so I guess it can be forgiven. Still, weren't these on the same network? Putting them in the same universe would have just ruled (just a thought, but the Roswell kids could have been set up to be young Zod and crew, then cross the shows, and blam! instant classic! God, I should be a TV exec.). Something to think about, especially if you've seen both shows. Well, I haven't seen all of Roswell....

Wow, I'm rambling....I'll be back tomorrow with more.

No comments: