Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Those comic book things I promised...

So, here we go, I finally get around to doing what I said I would.

The Punisher #1 $2.99

Her we have yet another relaunch of the characters book, this time sending it to Marvel's MAX line. I think it fits the Punisher well, especially with Garth Ennis at the writing reigns. Basically we have a recap of Frank's "origin" and then an example of his hatred for those in organized crime. The "one man war" is extremely gruesome, yet effective. I think the art complements the writing very well, I'd say it's a bit like an illustrated Reservoir Dogs but, that's just my opinion. The biggest surprise in the issue is the end. I won't spoil it for anyone, but let's say that someone from Frank's past has come back to haunt him.

The Avengers #77 $0.50

Yeah, you'd think for fitfty cents this would be a bargain. Well, you'd be wrong. Admittedly I haven't been keeping up with the exploits of the team, but since this is a jumping on point for new readers, that shouldn't have been a problem. It is. The only saving grace in the book is Coipel's artwork, and it's doesn't even make it worth the cover price. The characters are two dimensional, the plot is thinner than a dime, and the cliche's run rampant. Do yourself a favor and avoid this at all cost.

New X-Men #151 $2.25

Grant Morrison's final arc on the book is shaping up nicely, especially with the return of Silvestri on art duties. The story jumps back and forth from the future to the present fluidly, and the art is just beautiful. I won't spoil any of the story, but it's looking like it will be his best effort on the title, and it's well worth picking up.

The Crow

I took a trip down memory lane last night and read the trade for the first time in quite awhile. It still remains one of the most powerful stories I've ever had the fortune of reading, comic book or otherwise. It's even more amazing when compared to the film, which is equally as powerful, yet establishes itself as a seperate entity, and remains true to the spirit of the original work. If you've never read it, please, go do so. Then watch the film (again, or for the first time) and marvel in what I think is the greatest love story of all time, both on film and in print.

No comments: