Thursday, December 02, 2004

A Mesh Made in Heaven

I didn't make it by the comic shop today, mainly because of getting called into work, but I did make it by Best Buy to pick up the Spidey 2 Box Set. Looks really interesting, and I loved the packaging. Never read the comic that came with it, so I'm looking forward to that too.

I also picke up the Daredevil Director's Cut, a friend recommended it, said it was much better. I enjoyed the theatrical version, so I'm hoping this is indeed a better film, otherwise I wasted $12.

Also took a chance on the new Jay-Z/Linkin Park album. It's only got six tracks, but man, what a great six tracks it is. Going in this album has multiple things against it. Linkin Park is not a favorite band of mine, I enjoy a few of their songs for what they are, mainly club-type techno/rap/rock good for occasional radio play. On top of that it's something with the words MTV Presents on the cover, it's amazing how many alarms that sent off in my head. Add to that a short track list, and a few other variables and I could very well have passed all together.

But, it's Jay-Z. Jay-Z. The man is a living legend, and probably the best rap artist on the planet. The fact that his name was on it was enough to get me to pick it up. I'm glad I did. It's an amazing piece of work, blending two somewhat similar, yet somehow infinitely different styles together flawlessly. There's enough meshing so that you never get tired of Linkin Park's repetitive vocal or musical styles, and they actually add something fresh to Jay-Z's older songe making them feel new again. The rap/rock thing doesn't always worlk, in fact it's rare, but when it does it's fabulous, and this is definitely one of those rare exceptions. Pick it up.

-L

No comments: