Thursday, January 13, 2005

Finally, Some Comics

If I listen closely I can hear the sound of people rejoicing everywhere...

303 #2

Garth Ennis goodness with art by the wonderful Jacen Burrows. I won't pretend to know what exactly Ennis is getting at with the politics of the book, because I'm pretty ignorant on that sort of thing sadly. Still, it's a good read with fantastic art.

Supreme Power #14

This is next on my drop list. I'm having trouble remembering what happened last issue, a sure sign I'm not into the book as much as I used to be. It's still well written, and the art by Gary Frank is amazing, but the pace is entirely too slow, it's been over a year and very little is happening.

Team X 2000

I picked this one up out of a quarter bin awhile back. I'm a sucker for alternate reality type stories, and this one has Deathbird and Bishop travelling to a Shiar ruled Earth a few decades in their future. I was a bit confused by what exactly was happening when the book opened because I wasn't a reader of the X-Books during that time period, but other than that it was somewhat enjoyable. Sean Ruffner and A (Alan?) Smithee are the writers, and they do a good enough job with the material. I found it incredibly odd that Jubilee had aged and it seemed like no one else had, but that was really my only complaint with the writing. Kevin Lau is on pencils, and that was the worst part of the book. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the guy is that good, and the fact that he draws some of the characters without pupils is just creepy.

The Intimates #3

You know, there's not enough people getting behind this book. Three issues in and I think it's one of the most fantastic super-hero stories I've ever read. It's the best take on the super-team-teen's since Stan and Jack pretty much created the concept. My only complaint? The Jim Lee gets second billing. If you're not reading this, you should have your comic book buying license revoked permanently.

Plastic Man: On the Lam TPB

I tried and tried to write a review for CBG of this, but I couldn't. The most I can say is it's well written, and well drawn, but it did not hold my interest in the slightest. Maybe it's because I grew up on Marvel Comics and just don't get all the jokes, or maybe I just have a really crappy sense of humour, but I didn't love it the way most of the comics-blog-community seems to.

-L

No comments: