Monday, January 24, 2005

No Sup(er Bowl) for You!

My beloved Falcons blew their shot at glory yesterday, which is a shame, but it's nice that the Eagles finally get their shot. I've got a feeling the Patriot's are going to obliterate them though, and it makes me glad I don't have to see Atlanta face them.

Johnny Carson passed away. The King is dead, and it's a very sad day. I'm too young to remember most of Carson's stuff, but I do know he brought laughter to a generation, even while his life was in shambles. His guest spot on the Simpson's remains one of my favorite moments ever on the show, as well as one of the funniest. My condolences to his friends and family.

TVonDVD has news of Doogie and The Cosby Show. Also, Ed, Edd, and Eddy! I'm sure no one knows how big of a fan I am of this show. I absolutely love it and I'm very excited to see it get it's own release.

HAHAHAHA! Dorian can always cheer me up.

Mike's got a look at the Catwoman DVD.

Johnny B has posted an absolutely gorgeous cover.

Lastly on the links, happy early birthday wishes to Alan Doane, who takes time out of his celebration to give us Monday Notes. Of particular interest is Bluesman from Absence of Ink. Like Alan, I've been eagerly anticipating this release, and it's likely to be the best book to see print this year. Unlike him I won't be able to get it this week, but I am going to buy it.

I've been working on a massive (for me, anyway) review for CBG over the past week, hopefully I'll have it finished soon. Big thanks to Alan for his input on improving it. It's definitely my biggest task for the site to date (a self-appointed one, but still my biggest) and I've done a large (again, for me) amount of research to help prepare, but mostly to inform, because while I like to think I'm a huge fanboy, I'm fairly ignorant.

Part of that research has inadvertantly involved reading a piece in Reform Judaism Magazine on Jews in the comic industry,particularly their involvement in it's creation. Titled KINGS OF COMICS: HOW THE JEWS CREATED THE COMIC BOOK INDUSTRY, it ran in three parts. You can read Part 1-The Golden Age here, Part 2-The Silver Age here, and Part 3-The Bronze Age here. If you have any interest in the industry outside of its entertainment value, this is must read material. It's written by Arie Kaplan.

I finished reading last week's haul at the LCS and was mostly disappointed. Bullseye: Greatest Hits ended with a bit of irony, and and ends with far more of a wimper than a bang. It's a very well written and illustrated book, but it doesn't deliver on its promise to shed some light on the mystery of Bullseye. Not that it's something that need's to be explored, but I frown on baiting readers with lies. It's still the best version of the character since Frank Miller. Perhaps I'll get around to reviewing the whole series soon. Wolverine: The End wrapped up this week too, and man what a stinker. Again, baiting readers with a promise of answers to questions no one is really asking and then then only providing more questions is a poor way to sell a book. Add the horrible art and cheesy dialogue and you've got something to actively avoid. The other two books (No Doc Spectrum, not sure why...) were Cable & Deadpool and Madrox . C&D continues to bee a decent read, but I think Fabes has shown his hand far too quickly with the plot this time. Maybe he has something up his sleeve though. Madrox was much like Bullseye, showed great promise, but ultimately didn't accomplish anything. There was nothing important to the character's development by the end, and provided more questions than answers, and so we feel as if we've just wasted our time. Still, PAD is one heck of a writer isn't he? I'd love to see both Madrox and Bullseye become a monthly gig for their prespective creative teams. I also finished the issues of The Crossovers that I purchased a few weeks ago. I'm seeking out the rest of the run now, anyone know how many issues it ran?

-L

No comments: