Friday, October 22, 2004

Gracias

To ADD for sending me a critique of my review last night. There's nothing scarier than someone you consider a friend giving you an honest opinion of your work. I gotta say, honestly, (HAHAHA...no one else will think that's funny....) it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. I edited the review in the hopes that it will read better, and I think it does. A few of the mistakes were grammatical, which makes me want to just delete Microsoft Word from my comp. Hey, Bill, what's the point in having a program that only points out some errors? Maybe my version's just too damn old.

Where was I? Oh, yeah, thanks Alan, it was definitely taken to heart. Any specific deadline for the submissions?

In other news...I spent fifty bucks at the comic shop this week. Good God that's alot. What's funny is that I only bought four floppies. Sadly, all of them Marvel, and one of them because I'm a sucker for complete sets.

Cable & Deadpool #8 $2.99 (Marvel Comics)

Up until now I'd only been enjoying Fabes rendition of Deadpool, but his writing of Cable has greatly improved since the previous storyline, and takes off within this issue. It does suffer from "longtime reader" syndrome, meaning if you haven't followed the character since their inception, you're likely gonna be lost. Not crazy about the art, but I'm loving the writing. Deadpool's interaction with the current X-Men had me clutching my sides with laughter, and Irene's interview with Cable (Why did they insist on keeping the damn name? I'm sure even Liefeld can admit how stupid it is.) was very interesting. Good stuff.

Madrox #2 $2.99 (Marvel Comics)

Unlike Tom (dog that he is), I love the art here, it fits perfectly with the story. The opening sequence, with Jamie addressing the noir feel to the situation was hilarious. It was nice to have a few laughs along with some seriousness, both here and in C&D #8. It'll be a shame to see this book wrapped up in a few issues.

Fantastic Four #519 $2.99 (Marvel Comics)

This is second on the drop list I mentioned last week. Waid and 'Ringo are producing some damn fine material, but the price hike to $2.99 has sealed the deal. I'll be buying the trades after this arc wraps up. As for this particular issue, well, that makes three Marvel books that made me laugh this week. When's the last time that happened?

Identity Disc #5 $2.99 (Marvel Comics)

Wait, make that four! Only this one wasn't supposed to be funny (Well, except the Deadpool bits, Rodi writes great DP dialogue). So, who was actually surprised by this ending? If you were, boy do I feel sorry for you. Eventually I'll re-read the entire series and review it as a whole, maybe after I forget how awful an ending that was.

I also picked up the latest Wolverine trade. I'm hoping I'll get to it in the next few days, along with Ursula and Brit.

-L