Thursday, October 28, 2004

Those pesky reviews...

I managed to get one book read last night between watching Smallville, South Park, the new animated show Drawn Together, and the history that became the 2004 World Series.

Which book?

Sabertooth: Open Season #2 $2.99 (Marvel Comics)

Writer: Daniel Way
Artist: Bart Sears
Inks: Mark Pennington
Colors: Mike Atiyeh
Letters: Chris Eliopolous

What's it about? Before Sabertooth could finish off the residents of a small town one of them placed a distrss call, recieved by the Coast Guard. The first rescue team is ripped to shreds, only one member survives, and is now locked in a basement with two young boys. Just as they prepare another team, Sasquatch arrives on the scene and goes in after the monster.

Why you should be reading it: I just reviewed the first issue a little over a week ago, so it seems pretty pointless to go into the same little speech. The art is even less impressive here than it was in the first issue, which makes me wonder if the series was rushed, especially since there were only two weeks between the first two books. What little dialogue there is is pretty good, especially Sabertooth's. The interaction with Sasquatch was better than I hoped, and Way shows that he can write a smart character just as well as a psychotic one, which proves his most excellent Fantastic Four material from Venom wasn't a fluke, the man can actually write more than one type of character. Tracking down his Gun Theory book is quickly rising to the top of my list. I just wish the art was better here.

2.5/5

Smallville was a surprise, after seeing the previewslast week I'd expected something ridiculous. Just goes to show you, great acting can save mediocre writing.

South Park's take on the importance of voting had me laughing my ass off. If you missed it, hopefully it'll be re-run soon. It's a must watch, and all but mirrors my thoughts on voting (which I expressed a number of weeks ago). Not to mention the PETA massacre.

There's a new show airing after South Park now, Drawn Together. Hopefully it will last. Seems that timeslot has proven nothing but trouble for the folks at Comedy Central. I can name at least a half dozen shows that have been there in the last two or three years, none of them lasting long at all. This one is better than any of those that came before it, and I hope it sticks around for awhile.

Still working on that first CBG review, and I'm about to take on quite the monumental task (for me at least) and re-read all of The New Frontier, then write a review, a real review, not one of my "This rocks my socks!!!" reviews. It will probably just appear here, and not on CBG, unless I just surprise the hell out of everyone and write the best damn review in the world.

Don't look for that to happen. Still, it's something I've been meaning to do. New Frontier is probably the best mainstream book published this year. I'm hoping I can figure out how to add some cover scans, too. So, once again....more later.

-L