Thursday, October 14, 2004

Time for a quickie?

Lots on the agenda today, but I do have time for a quick review.


Sabretooth #1 $2.99 (Marvel Comics)

Creative Team: Daniel Way, Bart Sears, with inks by Mark Pennington, colors by Mike Atiyeh, and letters by VC's Cory Petit

What's it about? Sabretooth of course! Seems the crazy mutant has found his way into a small town near Lake superior and is butchering the local menfolk. A coast guard ship gets a distress call from a local woman and decides to investigate. Sabertooth makes short work of the 12 man team sent in, except for one, who has now become his prisoner. The Sasquatch shows up to help out. Yeah, that Sasquatch.

Why you should be reading it: Well, I picked it up based on my past enjpyment of Way's Venom, and recent enjoyment of his Bullseye. Seems he writes Marvel's crazy folk perfectly, and this is no different. Bart Sears handles the art chores decently enough. I'm not fond of his Sabes rendition, but I love everything else in the book, weird, no? I believe this is a mini, which has me sticking around until the end, and hoping for a bit more violence. Outside the cartoony looking Creed I found nothing wrong with the book, it slightly suffers from "first issues syndrome" (to steal a phrase) and is probably of interest only to long time X-Men fans, but that's understandable I think. So, yeah, this one was pretty good, not as good as Bullseye, but still worth the 3 bucks I think.

-L

No comments: