Saturday, October 23, 2004

Looking Up

Life seems to be doing just that, with one tiny exception, my financial affairs, but hey, they've not been in great shape since I was 20, so, why worry now? Seems I'm a CBG staff member now, and with it I get a load of fantastic perks.

What?

No perks?!?!

Dammit!!!

Seriously, it's absolutely fantastic news, and probably the best thing to happen to me in a very long time. I'm looking forward to having someone who will expect better things out of my writing. My blog might suffer, and there will probably be less comic talk here, but in the end that may be a positive thing.

I'm milling things over, wondering what I should review first, nervous as all hell. I'm gonna scan the CBG archives and make sure I don't review something that's already been hit upon. The most recent trade I've read is the new Wolverine, and while I loved it, I'm hoping to find something not so traditional.

My DVD buying is still out of control, spent sixty bucks a few days ago, but got some damn fine fliks; Man on Fire, Jersey Girl, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Scooby-Doo 2, Ladykillers, and Mean Girls.

I can rationalize Mean Girls with a few recommendations, and the fact that Tina Fey wrote it, but I have yet to watch it, along Ladykillers as well. I'm looking forward to seeing them. Scooby-Doo is always an eye-bros raiser when I bring it up. Seems no one shows the movie any love. I think the dog's got more character in the film than he ever did on the show, and I love the original run. Sure, it's not the TV show,but has anything ever been the original? Possibly A Pup NamedScooby-Doo came close, and is definitely the best of the follow-ups.

Not sure where I was going with this...

It's a good family flik, and achieves what it sets out to do, can you ask any more than that?

Jersey Girl was an odd buy, in some ways I actually got it for free (Buy 2, get 1 Free, I love you Movie Gallery!!). I had wanted to wait for the Special Edition release that's coming down the pike in about six or seven months, but the features sold it for me.

I listened to both commentary tracks today, and I was pretty impressed. I've always loved Smith's commentraks, not because they shed any light on the process, but because he just has a damn good time. The first one has Ben Afflek and Smith conversing about various things, including the Bennifer and Gigli fiasco that came back and bit them in the ass. They talked alot about critics, actually both tracks did, and how the movie was panned by longtime Smith lovers, yet hailed by people who didn't like most of his other films. Except for Jay & Silent Bob, I've loved every View Askew film, not just Smiths, and found it bizaare that the movie recieved so many bad reviews.

The second has Scott Mosier and Jason Mewes, and Mewes steals the show here. Smith even gets him talking about his drug addiction and a few other personal problems the man has suffered through. I've definitely got a newfound respect for the guy. I'll still be buying the Special Edition later, but I'm glad I picked this up. The Roadside Attractions extras were nice, even if they have nothing to do with the film.

I watched Eternal Sunshine last night. Wow. I like Being John Malkovich, but could hardly stay awake through Adaptation, so I wasn't sure what I'd be getting here. Maybe because it's an outside director, but this is by far Kaufman's best film to date. He write the script, and co-wrote the story, and it's just absolutely brilliant. Jim Carrey gives the performance of a lifetime, and if the world were right he'd be recieving a Best Actor trophy for this film. Sadly, I'm sure that won't be the case.

That's it for me folks, but I shall be back tomorrow.

-L