Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Lefties Turn to Shine

I'm unsure of the plural of Lefty...so, I just winged it.

His

Chris begins and ends his disc with tracks from Los Super Seven (Cupido & Ojito Traidores respectively), I found them somewhat enjoyable, but mostly forgettable. The highlights are Green Day's Letterbomb, Dancing Queen by ABBA, Jesus Was an Only Son by the Boss, While My Guitar Gently Weeps by the Beatles, Joe Jackson's Is She Really Going With Him?, Bad N Ruin by Faces (I'm as surprised as anyone), Stray Paper by Tift Merritt, Gonna Move by Paul Pena, I Fell in Love by Susan Tedeschi. The rest of the disc (Pressure Drop by Toots & the Maytals, Samba Pa Ti by Santanna, Little Toy Brain by Gov't Mule, The Trooper by Iron Maiden, The Spark That Bled by Flaming Lips, Sugaree by Jerry Garcia, and Blue Sky by The Allman Bros.) struck me as so-so, nothing I really disliked, but nothing that made me want to seek out some further work either. For Chris' thoughts on his picks you can go here.

Hers

All apologies to Chris, but I liked his wife's disc much better. The highlights? Peaceful, Easy Feeling by the Eagles, Soul Singing by The Black Crowes (a native Georgia band!! Woohoo!), I've Seen All Good People by Yes, Every Time We Say Goodbye by alisson Krauss, Ghost Riders in the Sky by Johnny Cash, Walk Tall by John (nobody call him Cougar!) Mellancamp, Times Like These by Jack Johnson, Lucy in the Sky by the Beatles, Steal My Sunshine by Len. But, I did dislike a few songs on the disc, namely Power of Love/Love Power by Luther Vandross and Tell Her About It by Billy Joel. normally I like both of those cats, I've just heard those songs enough to last me a lifetime. Didn't much care for Gov't Mule's Wandering Child either, that intro just seemed to last forever, and Got What He Wanted by String Cheese Incident just didn't get my goat. The rest ( Heavy Things by Phish, Rendevouz With the Blues by Greg allman, If Wishes Were Horses by Claire Lynch and Soulshine by the allman Bros.) were listenable for me. I enjoyed Soulshine more than I thought I would. You can read Mrs. Lefty's thoughts on her stuff here.

More later!

-L

No comments: