Monday, February 02, 2004

The Error of Your Ways

Mr. Doane posted this on his own blog just recently:

Caper #1-4 -- Judd Winick mostly leaves me cold as a writer, and I have given his work multiple choices to impress me. Based on the recommendation of someone I trust (Jim Crocker of Modern Myths in Northampton, Massachusetts), though, and also because of the strengths of artist Farel Dalrymple, I decided to give Caper a look. I'm glad I did, and even more glad that I picked up #1-4 all together, as they comprise the first story-arc of this 12-issue limited series. Winick's story concerns two brothers who end up working for a Jewish mobster in San Francisco in the early 1900s. The surprisingly affecting script involves love, jealousy and betrayal, enveloped in an extraordinarily convincing sense of place and circumstance. Dalrymple -- who you may know from Pop Gun War as a gifted and unique artist -- is well-chosen to depict the clothing, architecture and character of the era. These four issues contain a tight and involving story that moves quickly with no false notes or missed beats. Future issues will move forward in time to reveal the consequences and legacies of the characters in the first four chapters, and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the saga of Caper. Grade: 4/5

I'd just like to say, I'm glad to see you've come around. Now, for all those that haven't, go read this friggin' book! Unlike Alan, I do tend to like Judd Winick's writing, but this series has been above and beyond everything I've seen from him. This is sure to go down as one of the years best in my book, and if you liked this, I suggest Blood+Water if you haven't already picked it up.

-L

No comments: