Friday, February 20, 2004

Patch Drury

You don't know him. I don't really know him, but he's a pretty smart man. In my opinion, much too smart to be doing what he does for a living, but that doesn't really matter. Here's what he had to say about Mel Gibson's new film The Passion of the Christ, or the controversy surrounding it, I should say.


All that being said, last night I watched Mel Gibson being interviewed by Diane Sawyer for an hour. An hour I'll never get back. If it weren't for the cute girl in the room, I probably wouldn't have lasted for the full program. At any rate, I just can't believe there's a controversy here. Some folks are worried that the film might fuel anti-Jewish sentiment. That would certainly be awful if it happened but come on. I don't think video-games made those kids at Columbine shoot their classmates and I don't think this movie will make people rush out and persecute Jews. There's real and genuine hate that exist in our world and it doesn't need and excuse to show itself. If you watch a movie where a group of Jews kill Jesus and as a result you take it upon yourself to exact revenge on the behalf of Christ - then, let's be honest, it was really only a matter of time before your clothes hamper talked you into it anyway.

I'll be adding a link to his blog tomorrow, hopefully. It's always worth a read, especially for people who like "slice of life" stories. Check it out.

-L

No comments: