Thursday, July 28, 2005

Just When I think I'm out...

As usual, the follower and not the leader. Everyone else has done this, I got some time to kill, so why not:

Spin magazine published their top 100 of the last 20 years, here's what I've got out of the list, some thoughts on others and some additions. The whole list is here.

100. The Strokes, Is This It (RCA, 2001)

I've been told I'd like the strokes, but I've never listened to them, maybe I should fix that.

93. Pearl Jam, Ten (Epic, 1991)

Jeremy alone makes this one of the best albums ever, sadly this is probably PJ's most solid album, but my favorite is still Vitology, weirdness abounds.

85. R.E.M, Automatic for the People (Warner Bros., 1992)

Georgia representin'. I like the boys from R.E.M. okay, and I like this album, not sure if it belongs on this list, but it's not my list.

84. Soundgarden, Superunknown (A&M, 1994)

This band is hit and miss with me, I do have this album tho, Black Hole Sun rocks, and Fell On Black Days kicks my ass.

81. Beck, Mellow Gold (Geffen, 1994)

I'm a newcomer to Beck, hopping on on his last album. I plan on going back to his earlier stuff, but I can't see myself liking it more than the present stuff.

79. Moby, Everything Is Wrong (Elektra, 1995)

I want to like Moby, and I don't dislike him, just never felt like my cup of tea.

77. Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Nonesuch, 2002)

Didn't like it, at all. I tried, and I want to, but I just don't. Give me Son Volt any day.

72. Raekwon, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (Loud/RCA, 1995)

I need this.

70. Jay-Z, The Blueprint (Roc-A-Fella, 2001)

Personally I would've picked another album, maybe Life and Times, Vol 3, but it's nicce to at least have J on the list (pssst-he should be higher!)

67. Slayer, Reign in Blood (American, 1986)

Slayer? You're freaskin' kidding me? No Crue? But Slayer? Whatever...

66. Outkast, Aquemini (LaFace, 1995)

Can't argue here. Outkast is the greatest duo rap has ever known, they've had more breakthrough success than probably anyone, and the fact that they make "booty" music somewhat respectable, well, that just means they kick that much more ass.

64. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP (Interscope, 2000)

This is on here simply because it was his first release, The Eminem Show is a much better album, and stands as one of the greatest works of musical artistry I've ever heard.

61. Weezer, Pinkerton (Geffen, 1996)

I want to like these guys too, I should give their latest a shot.

59. Modest Mouse, The Lonesome Crowded West (Up, 1997)

Ditto.

58. Metallica, Master of Puppets (Elektra, 1986)

What the band has become has ruined any credibility they once held. FUCK Metallica.

57. The White Stripes, White Blood Cells (Sympathy For The Record Industry, 2001)

There's no arguing here, but this is really the only Stripes album that I've adored.

53. Rage Against the Machine, The Battle of Los Angeles (Epic, 1999)

Awww, yeah, turn that shit up.

52. Beastie Boys, Licensed to Ill (Def Jam, 1986)

The original honkies of rap at their earliest and perhaps finest.

51. Nirvana, In Utero (DGC, 1993)

I'm gonna take the unpopular opinion and say that if Cobain hadn't offed himself Nirvana would not be the influence they continue to be. They're still great, but I can't see them as a continual influence if their career hadn't come to a screeching halt.

(For some reason their list ends at 51? I dunno, I cribbed the rest from ADD)

49. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Lauryn Hill 1998

No friggin' thanks.

45. College Dropout Kanye West 2004

Oh hell yes. One of the best albums I've ever bought.

44. Dookie Green Day 1994

I dunno, this isn't my favorite Green Day, again, it was a breakthru album, I think that's why it's here.

40. Raising Hell Run DMC 1986

They are the kings of rock.

35. The Chronic Dr Dre 1992

Not a fan of solo Dre, his "team-ups" are always excellent though, and this is definitely some classic rap.

33. AmeriKKKas Most Wanted Ice Cube 1990

Not a fan of the gangsta, but I like Ice Cube okay, his earlier stuff more than his later.

28. Definitely Maybe Oasis 1994

Man I think these guys just lost it, they could've been consistently great.

25. The Downward Spiral Nine Inch Nails 1994

Definitely the best of the NIN

23. Stankonia Outkast 2000

If anyone deserves to be on the list twice, it's probably them. Most influental group in the last ten years.

20. Enter the Wu Tang Clan (36 Chambers) Wu-Tang Clan 1993

This should be in the top 10 at least, possibly #1. This album brough about a whole new movement in hip-hop and let loose some of the greatest performers the world of music has ever seen.

19. Live Through This Hole 1994

This album's success rests solely on Cobain.

18. Appetite for Destruction Guns n Roses 1987

Best album EVER. My favorite band, period.

17. Illmatic Nas 1994

I need to pick up some Nas, seriously.

16. Odelay Beck 1996

I'll get to this one eventually.

12. Paul's Boutique Beastie Boys 1989

The Boys rock all.

11. Achtung Baby U2 1991

U2 just doesn't do it for me, particularly this album.

10. Straight Outta Compton NWA 1988

Yeah, not gonna arcue with that one.

3. Nevermind Nirvana 1991

Ummm, yeah I love this, but what I said still applies.

2. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back Public Enemy 1988

I should have this, but I don't.

Radiohead is the #1 album, I don't get into Radiohead, sorry.

Suggestions:

Counting Crows-Agust and Everything After

One of the best albums ever concieved, and one of the most important CD's I've ever purchased.

Bubba Sparxxx-Deliverance

This list really needs more southern rap, it's becoming the fastest growing segment of the genre and this is the finest example of what it has to offer.

Alice in Chains- just pick an album!

I'm severely disappointed by the fact that the Chains weren't included.

Everclear-Songs from an American Movie Vol. 1

I pick this because it's my favorite, but any Everclear would have bbeen nice. This album showed so much more growth for the band, both personally and instrumentally, one of my favorite CDs

Other thoughts: No Chili Peppers? No Pantera? I'm surprised there's no Alanis, and I think Sheryl Crow deserves to be on the list.

But, that's just me.

-L

No comments: