Friday, July 22, 2005

Quickies-7/22/05

Here's a look at some books I've read in the last week or so.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #10

Featuring Spidey anf Man-thing, sort of. This is really the Lizard's story and Bendis does a good job of updating it. Having John Totleben on art made me laugh (see he's widely known for his work on DCs Swamp Thing) and while it wasn't up to some of his previous stuff, it was pretty good. Not a bad issue considering I spent two quarters on it, and I've liked all the Ultimate Team-Up books I've come across, eventually I'll have the whole darn set.I keep wondering if they'll ever address thew Spidey/FF issue int the current Ult. FF book, but since it doesn't really jibe with what their doing there I doubt it. B

Cable & Deadpool #17

The inevitable House of M tie-in, this issue the 'Poolman (Deadpool) and his buddies (Siryn and Cannonball) must rescue a baby Nathan (that's Cable) from Mr. Sinister (Mr. Sinister), who isn't quite the evil bastard the mutant-followjng comic readers know him to be. He's still evil, just not so much. The book's as funny as ever and it's nice to know I won't have to follow that incessant crossover to get what's going on. I'm really digging Zurcher'sa art. B+

Tales of the TMNT #12

A Raph solo issue, our favorite green hot-head follows Shado to Paris where they take on a pair of serial killers withthe help of a ghost. Good art by Dario Brizuela and the story is a nice change of pace from the more serious, darker previous issues. It's nice to see a solo Raph too as he was always an interesting character to explore. Tales has really been one of the most enjoyable books I've been reading and it's nice to know I can pick up the issues without having to remember what's been going on. A

Y the Last Man #36

The fill-in art of Gorin Sudzuka has been wonderful, I kind of hate to see it go, but I am looking forward to Guerra's return. Next ish will be stand-alone and we'll finally get to see what's been going on with Beth. This issue wrapped up the Girl on Girl arc excellently, and as I predicted we'll get to see Yorick and company make it to Australia after all (not that it was a hard prediction) and Vaughan even managed to throw some twist into the mix at the end. How this book is able to maintain such consistent quality in all it's 35 issues is mind-blowing, even my beloved Preacher had a misstep or two in that span of time. Continually one of the best books out there. A

All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder #1

Despite winning the prize for "Worst named Batman book ever", this issue does nothing for me. all kinds of excuses have been made for it but I just couldn't get into it. Ian Brill's notation that the writing and art are disconnected is probably the most accurate reason it doesn't work, but Miller just seems to be phoning it in. Clearly he could write Batman crap in his sleep (DK2 anyone?) so why put a huge amount of effort into it? And Lee's work here is pretty much crap, worse that his Hush stuff. I may be back for issue #2 just to see if it gets better, but I doubt it. C

Wonderlanders #1

Oktomica Entertainment put out three titles in its short history, Virtex lasted four issues, Wisp lasted one, this book ran for two. I cam across it in a, you guessed it, fifty cent bin and decided to get in based on the Kaare Andrews artwork, turns out it was one of his earliest works, in fact I think it was his first published art, I could be wrong though. The art is nice, but my God the story is HARD to follow. It's kind of Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe crossed with Wizard of Oz (As if they weren't slose enough already), but with a modern type of appeal. If you see this, avoid it, unless you're a completist. D

-L

No comments: