Monday, March 01, 2004

Comic book reviews (finally)

So, I finally get around to posting my thoughts on the few books I picked up last week.

Fused #2

ADD beat me to the punch on #1, and looks like I got to #2 before he did. I'm not sure if that's a good thing...Anyway, the story of a man trapped inside a robot suit continues to unfold with surprising results. Given that Steve Niles has all but cornered the market on comic book horror lately, Fused is an...odd change of pace. Odd, but quite enjoyable. Medors art has grown on me over the short time between issues, and the continual twists in the story definitely keep me interested. I won't spoil it for anyone, I'll just say that this is an old-fashioned, fun comic book.

Venom #11

Sigh...I'm sure it will get cancelled soon, but I am enjoying this book. This issue is a flashback of sorts, and begins to clue you in on the details of exactly how and why there are two "Venom's" running around the Marvel Universe. Daniel Way's portrayal of the Fantastic Four is a bit stiff at times, but outside of Mark Waid, is probably the best I've seen in years. The battle between Venom and Thing was wonderful (albeit brief), and the art lends itself nicely enough to the fight scenes, if not the rest of the issue. My only problem? If you're going to have Mike deodato Jr draw a cover for you, make it more than just a slimy tongue. To me, all of Sam Keiths previous covers were some of my favorites of the past year, and this was just a disappointment. Granted, it has ALOT to do with the plot of the issue, but I felt it was a waste of a great talent.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #3

The Four finally get their powers...really, that's all that happens. But, it's still damn good.

The Punisher #3

Micro makes Frank an offer he can't refuse. I should really just buy Marvel comics in TPB form...

Lone #1

I tried this because I liked Fused so much. What do the two have in common? Both are published by Dark Horse division Rocket Comics. Now, Lone looks like a western on the outside...and it is. However, it's also a science fiction tale set in a post apocalyptic world where zombies abound, and apparently someone is now leading them; using them to take over a small town. Only one man can stop them, legendary gunfighter, Lone. Honestly, I didn't like it at first, but after reading it twice and getting used to the art, I'll admit I was wrong. Like Fused, it's not gonna change the face of comics, but it is a fun read.

I also picked up Caper #5, and I'll just say it was very impressive. If murder mystery is your thing, then this is your book. Can't wait to see where it goes.

-L

No comments: