Sunday, March 14, 2004

Funniest. Quote. Ever.

ADD posted this on his blog, funny enough, twice in the last two days. It bears repeating here.

I get no sense from [Grant] Morrison's work that he has any "love for the genre". I get the same vibe I get from [Alan] Moore -- a cold and calculated mixing of ingredients the writer knows the fans like, but to which the writer himself has no eviceral connection. Nostaligia without being nostalgic, as I have dubbed it.)

-John Byrne

I'd like to go on record saying that this is possibly the funniest, most idiotic statement ever written by a creator of comics. To add to it, the man himself apparently found it to be so stupid he deleted it from his forum. If there were ever proof that Byrne has outlived his usefulness to the medium, this is it. One of the humblest (is that a word) things someone can do is recognize people that are obviously above them in their chosen profession. Now, I like Morrison, usually, but if this were just an idiotic remark about his writing ability, then I would lump Byrne into the same category as the idiotic fanboys that praise him (Byrne). However, once you bring Moore into the conversation, it's a whole new ball game.

Alan Moore is probably, and possibly always will be, the greatest writer the comic book community has ever seen. No one, and I mean no one, can craft a story the way Moore does. No, I don't read alot of his current work, and honestly haven't read even a quarter of the man's body of work, but who can deny the influence he's had on comics. The man is a genius, and John Byrne isn't, never has been, and never will be in the same universe as him.

So, John, just in case you ever stumble upon this, Logan Polk thinks you're a putz.

-L

No comments: