Monday, March 29, 2004

More Short & Sweet

School of Rock

Decent Jack black film, perfect for a younger audience, definitely has the whole "feel-good" vibe going for it. It's not a laugh riot, but it has its moments. A definite rental.

Pieces of April

Bittersweet, emotionally charged story of a girl trying to make up for all of the bad she's caused in her family, and the family that just can't seem to forget the past. Brilliant performances by all involved, and anyone looking for a good drama, this is it.

Scooby-Doo 2

If you didn't like the first, you will not like this. It's gotten some bad reviews, as did the first, which, as a true fan of the show, I feel are undeserving. It's a movie based on a cartoon, how serious should it be? Not to mention, it's aimed at kids. If you have children, they should love it, and there are even a few laughs in it for the adults. Yes, there are fart jokes, yes it's a little cartoony at times, but that's what it should be. It's fun, plain and simple.

Goodbye, Chunky Rice

No, this isn't a movie, it's a graphic novel. Now, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. Yes, it's a great story, but mostly, for me, it was just confusing. I'll have to read it again, but I just really didn't understand most of what was going on. Now, before anyone tries to explain it, I did understand what the story was about, but I couldn't follow the "telling" of it. Alot of the narration/dialogue was just confusing as hell, and alot of the time the actions of the characters just didn't make any sense. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't enjoy it.

Weekend Aquisitions

To add to the ever growing library of DVD's:

Abandon

Decent Katie Holmes flick, that was pretty well written.

Coupling: The Complete First season

The BBC series, not it's American cancelled counterpart. This show is just hilarious.

The Grey Zone

Haven't seen it yet, but it's written and directed by Tim Blake Nelson, who I think is great, and based on a true story. So, we'll see.

I also bought a Transformer, but haven't opened it yet.

That pretty much sums up my weekend.

No comments: