Thursday, March 18, 2004

They say it's my birthday


Is it your birthday too?

It's a little past midnight, which means 25 years ago today I was born in a crappy hospital in Columbus, Ga. I don't remember how that day went, but this one has started off well enough.

My first present came from my sister earlier in the evening, and will likely be one of the best ones I get. The next one came from my father, less than half an hour ago, and proved to be equally enjoyable.

Now, anyone that knows me personally knows I have a fondness for many things, but there are two things that stand out from my childhood. My love of Scooby-Doo, and my fascination with Transformers. As a kid, Scooby was an easy thing to love, but the Transformers....they were something my parents just couldn't afford.

Needless to say, my love for both of those continues today. Yeah, it's dorky, geeky, and whatever else you'd like to call it. Honestly, I don't care. I've found I can get along with any kid under five by bringing up Scoob, and with almost any 6-10 yr old with my love of Transformers. At family get togethers my room is often where the kids like to hang out, watching cartoons, playing with toys, and it's fine with me.

Someday I do hope to have kids of my own, and I hope that my being a kid at heart will help me build a stronger bond with them. But, I digress.

My first gift was the first two seasons of that most treasured show, and the second a Transformer that rivals almost any other ever created, Unicron. I'm probably the last Bot nut to get my hands on him, but what can I say, I'm a dork who tries to spend his money wisely.

I know of two more presents that I won't be getting until April, one of which will be a trip to Atlanta to see The Producers on stage, and the other to the Atlanta Comicon, where Mr. Darwyne Cooke will be present. Here's hoping he's a great guy who'll do a sketch for me. Hell, even if he charges, it'll be well worth it.

So, I'm off to watch Scooby-Doo and try and transform Mr. Unicron. Yeah, I know it's geeky, but I guarantee you it's more fun than most of you are having right now. Here's hoping the rest of you have as good a day as I'm sure to have.

-L

No comments: