Friday, August 20, 2004

Review Type Things

A bit later than I'd like, and still no Madbomb, but here's a few things to keep you busy.

Supreme Power #12 $2.99

JMS continues to "reimagine" a classic, and while he does do a damn fine job, I can't help but feel bored to tears at times. When this story is on, it's fantastic, but everything has been stretched out to a point where it almost makes this a fruitless effort. Still Gary Frank has become one of my very favorite artists, and probably is the only reason I continue to shell out the bucks. There isn't the exact same magic here as they had with Midnight Nation, but I got the feeling that the writing was stronger because it was a limited series, and JMS was actually working towards something. In this book it feels more like delaying the inevitable.

Doctor Spectrum #1 $2.99

Not sure who Sara Barnes is (another JMS protege?) but she has me interested. This book is supposed to (I assume) serve as an origin of the good Doctor, who I don't think is really a doctor. Which is a bit confusung. Still, much like the series it spun off from, I loved the art, by another name I don't recognize. Travel Foreman. Intersting name. It was apretty good start, even though it's marketed in a way that only those reading SS will pick it up, which is the point probably. They're just milking the cow. It is a pretty cow though.

Scooby-Doo and the Loch Ness Monster

Like I said, I was sure I'd love it, and I did. It's a bit scary for anyone under the age of five I think, but all in all, it's a great family film. The DVD has tons of things to add on the legend of Loch Ness, never quite debunking or proving the sightings completely. Sadly there's no commentrak to be found, as I enjoyed the last two. A surprise voice popped up in the film, John DiMaggio, otherwise known as Bender from Futurama. I recognized him almost immediately, even with a Scottish accent. Good flik, worth a rent if you have kids, or a buy if you're a Scoob-a-holic like me.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol.2

There's nothing I can really say besides this show is flippin' brilliant. The DVD is great, it includes the "origin" of the ATHF, along with a cool documentary type thing, and some character sketches. It's got an episode of Space Ghost where the ATHF made their first appearence so long ago, along wiht a few commentraks. Fantastic stuff here.

-L

1 comment:

Tom the Dog said...

I love the new series of Scooby-Doo cartoon movies, though I think they peaked with the first one (Zombie Island), and have been losing some of that magic with each new movie (Witch's Ghost, Alien Invaders, Cyber Chase, Legend of the Vampire). I'll rent this one, though, and I should try to find Monster of Mexico, too.