Friday, August 06, 2004

The Reviews!

See, I told ya.

That said, I really need a name for my review column...quick, someone suggest something!

Ah, well....

Guardians #2 $2.99

Wonderful. A bit slow moving, but if the cover price were lower, I'd have no problem with that. You just don't get enough action here for three bucks. For anyone looking to get older kids/younger teens into comics, I don't think you can go wrong with this book. The characters are supposed to be in their late teens/early twenties (I assume...) but they feel like 15 and 16 year olds to me. That's not really a complaint, and seeing as how twenty year olds play fifteen year olds nowadays, it's not really important. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing where this goes.

X-Men: The End #1 $2.99

Dorian's gripe with this book was that you needed to know the vast X-History to comprehend it. (See his blog.) Now, while that's pretty much true, I followed it well enough and I'm hardly an X-pert (haha, couldn't help myself). I do want to say this, it was my belief that these "End" books were pretty much for the longtime fans, so I don't think that ut's really a legitimate gripe to begin with (even though, as I said, it's true). The art was great, and for once I actually enjoyed a Claremont story, which surprised me. But, for those who aren't familiar with alot of X-history, beware.

Y, the Last Man #25 $2.95

You'd think a 25th issue would have more than this...oh wait, we get to see Yorick's girlfriend! This was a great stpryline, but I'm hoping the pace picks up soon. Still, one of the best damn books being published.

Scratch #3 $2.50

Huh? I'm so lost right now it's not even funny. But damn it's pretty.

Pride & Joy TPB $14.95

Holy crap this was good. Ennis weaves two stories together seamlessly, and Higgins art complements is nicely. Story one is about aman who's past has finally caught up with him, and now he may have to pay the ultimate price for his past transgressions. Story two is a basic father-son story, very emotional, and very touching. On their own each story stands firm, but by blending the two Ennis gives us one of his best works ever. This is right up there with Preacher for me folks.

-L

No comments: