Saturday, August 07, 2004

Reviews-The Movie Edition

Quite a few flicks watched over the last ten days or so, hopefully I'll remember them all....

50 First Dates

Formost people the movie will start off with three strikes against it. #1: it's an Adam Sandler movie. #2 With Drew Barrymore. #3: it's a romantic comedy. None of those things would warrant a great movie, and rest assured, we don't get one. What we do get is a good movie, that's a bit more touching, and less funny than I would have tought it would be. Everyone should remember the last Sandler/Barrymore outing, The Wedding Singer, which was pretty good, better than most Sandler films (I like the guy, but he isn't the funniest man on the planet.) This is along the lines of his last few films (not counting Little Nicky of course, which is horrible). It's a great date movie, and something the whole family can watch.

Catwoman

It's not the worst movie ever, and ranks with League of Extraoridinary Gentlemen as far as comics to film movies. My brother liked it better than Daredevil, and he hated Daredevil. Of course, we didn't pay to see it, so that enhances it a bit. Definitely not worth eight bucks.

The Great Escape

Wow. I hate war films. I do. But this, this is a great friggin' movie.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Growing up there was a cartoon based off of the films and it always struck me as oddly funny. Such a bizarre concept, yet it works. I watched the first film a few days ago, I actually bought the Special Anniversery Edition on DVD, and the bonus features are great, probably one of the best all around packages I've ever seen. I can see why it's gathered such a cult following over the years, like the cartoon, it's bizaare and brilliant, and pretty damned funny. I doubt the toon would stand out today, but this film does, and likely always will.

Sealab 2021 Volume 1

It's movies like Killer Tomatoes that paved the way for things like this. Yes I intentionally mentioned them together, simply because they're so "off the beaten path," yet there's something that just draws you in and once you start watching you find yourself laughing your ass off. This is one of the best written things (it's not really a show, and cartoon sounds too vague) on television. Yes, I know it's not a movie dammit.

The Princess Bride

For some stupid reason I do not own this movie. I don't know why. It easily makes the top ten list of greatest films ever. Fans should be happy to know that in an EW readers poll of Greatest Movie Lines Ever (something like that) Princess Bride had some of the most write in votes, actually garnering the #1 spot with "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." My personal favorite? "Have fun storming the castle." and "I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!" and "Liar! Liar!" hell, the whole damn movie is one long quote fest. "Inconcievable!"

A Fish Called Wanda

Another film favorite of mine. Kevin Kline at his best, and as a kid "Don't call me stupid!" ranked up there with "Have fun storming the castle!" for me. It's still a funny movie, but doesn't have the replay value of Princess Bride.

Hellboy

Ther more I watch the movie the better I like it. The DVD has got to be one of the best ever, Del Toro left no stone unturned, giving you the inside look at everything that's gone into it. It just makes you appreciate it so much more.

That about covers it I think. I'm in the midst of some comic reading, including the latest DC: The New Frontier, and the Captain America & the Falcon: Madbomb TPB. Hopefully I'll get to at least one of the tomorrow.

-L

No comments: