Friday, April 01, 2005

Mitch, We Hardly Knew Ye

Mitch Hedberg, one of the funniest men to ever walk the face of this planet, has died at the age of 37 from a heart attack. Like Tom I can only assume it was drug related, which makes me furiously saddened. Like so many before him, this habit has taken down a man in his prime, on the verge of becoming a widely known, headlining talent. If you ever saw him either live or on his frequent Comedy Central spots, you know how great he was. Mitch, I'll miss you, you always put a smile on my face, and even as I sit here both depressed and angry at the news, reading your words from Ian's site made me laugh out loud. You were one of a kind.

My heart goes out to both his friends and family in this tragic moment of their lives.

My favorite Mitch joke: "I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut. I don't need a receipt for the doughnut - I'll just give you money and you give me the doughnut. End of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario in which I would need to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend... don’t even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here. Oh wait, it's back home in the file... under "D", for doughnut."

Ian has others, and I'm going to try and run a few more in the coming week in honor of this wonderful man.

R.I.P. Mitch, we loved you.

No comments: