Thursday, September 30, 2004

Voting!

Just wanna get something off my chest real quick. I just finished a lengthy conversation with a friend about why i don't vote. Simply put, I've never liked any candidate who's run (national or local) so voting would be tremendous waste of time. Add to taht my pure hatred for all things political, and the fact that I don't keep up with quite a few issues, and not only do I not like what things I do know about them, but I'm not fully informed, and wouldn't vote for either of them, not to mention my thoughts on the ineffective and archaic voting process we currently have, and you have a list of reasons I shouldn't vote.

So, I don't. Why is that hard for people to grasp?

Still, constantly, I have people trying to convince me not only to vote, but why the person the back is "the right guy." I give the same answer every time, the reasons I listed above. Still, I'm met with hostility because I choose...I repeat CHOOSE, not to participate in this ritual.

Their response is always the typical "But why, it's a matter of life and death." Other than the answers I've given, I don't have a higher purpose. Honestly, it's become a cult-like thing, as if I'm somehow offending them because I don't vote. As if I'm the person ruining their lives. I'm the cause of all their problems. I'm the reason the country is the way it is.

Hate to tellyou this folks, but that's a load of crap. You people elect the idiots that run this country, you let them get into public office, so it's all on you. Stop tryng to convince me that "you're guy is the right guy" because he's not. Politicians are nothing but hand puppets, and I'm not joining their little sect of groupies.

What's even better is that this election is basically people choosing the lesser of two evils. That's not a decision I want on my soul. It's like saying I'm either gonna smoke myself into cancer, or drink myself into liver failure. How about I choose not to elect any stupid white men to lead this country, why do you choose to do it?

So, in short, stop trying to convince me that one side is better than the other. Bottom line, they're all out to screw you, it's just a matter of how. They're politicians, it's what they do, it's what they'll continue to do as long as voters put them in office.

Agree, disagree, I don't care. I'm not asking anyone to join me in my apathy (or whatever term you choose to describe it) so don't ask me to join you as you put idiots into office. Deal?

-L

No comments: